CHARACTERS

THEODORA (TEDDY): Fourty
JANINE: In her early thirties, Teddy’s sister

SETTING
A very simple apartment set: suggestion of kitchen with sink, stove, fridge, and table. Four doors, 1 leading to the outside and the other three to suggested rooms.

At Curtain, Teddy is washing dishes and dancing to the music on the radio “Dancing Queen” by ABBA, when a knock is heard at the door.

TEDDY: (Singing Poorly)
Night is young and the music’s high
With a bit of rock music, everything is fine
You’re in the mood for a dance
And when you get the chance…

(Knocking from the door interrupts her singing. Janine stands outside holding two suitcases.)

TEDDY: (Yelling over the music still playing on the radio) Who is it! What do you want?

JANINE: (Yelling over the music and through the door) Sis!! It’s me, Janine!

TEDDY: (Still yelling) Nine? What are you doing here?

JANINE: (Still yelling) Yes! Yes! Now, let me in! (pause) And turn that down!

(The music gets louder as Teddy continues to sing and dance filling the drain with washed dishes. Pausing briefly to dial numbers into the nearby phone, and leaving it on the counter)

TEDDY: (Singing)
You are the dancing queen, young and sweet, only seventeen
Dancing queen, feel the beat from the tambourine
You can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life
See that girl, watch that scene, diggin’ the dancing queen

JANINE: (Angered and yelling louder) Teddy! What the hell are you doing! Open this door!

(Teddy continues singing and washing the dishes, ignoring the demands of her sister)

TEDDY: (Singing)
JANINE: (Throwing her bags down, pounding on the door and continuing to yell) Teddy! Open the damn door! Open the door! Teddy! Teddy! Ted-

(The door swings open interrupting Janine’s rant.)

JANINE: (Extremely annoyed yells) What is wrong with you!

(The music fades slightly as the chorus continues)

TEDDY: (Turns around and stops singing) The door was unlocked the whole time. (Turns back toward the sink)

JANINE: (Flustered, she throws her bags on the ground, and flops into a chair) Well, that is a silly way to keep your door!

(Teddy, finally finished washing the dishes, begins to dry them while continuing to face the sink)

TEDDY: I keep my house as I please. You don’t live here do you? (Turning around with a dish in hand) Or it seems you think you do…What’s with all this? (Using the dish to point to the suitcases on the floor)

JANINE: Well, you know that boyfriend I was living with in California?

TEDDY: No.

JANINE: Well, he got arrested for selling drugs, and I was living in his apartment, and there was rent for the month, but then the landlord kicked me out, and now I don’t have any place to stay, and I just don’t know what to do!

(Teddy puts the dishes down, and turns to stare at Janine. Teddy is angered, but contains her anger with silence)

JANINE: I just thought you would help me!

TEDDY: (In an almost uncontrollable sarcasm out of disbelief) You thought I would help you? I would help you?

(Janine stares confused)

TEDDY: Or, did you forget the last time you saw me? Hmm?

(Janine looks down remembering, yet not saying anything)

TEDDY: (Immediately bothered at the memory, but containing her anger) I have thought many years as to what I would say to you when I finally saw you again, but never did I expect you to arrive at my door. I expected a funeral or to see you finally in jail, but in my house? Never.

JANINE: (Bothered by Teddy’s comments, and almost playfully) But Teddy, that was over ten years ago. Can’t we forget the past!?

TEDDY: (Serious, and trying very hard to remain calm and collected) I am not sure what kind of tricks you play on yourself from day to day in order to feel no guilt.
JANINE: (Continuing in an almost playful manner) I meant nothing by it, really. It was all a misunderstanding.
(Sirens are heard, far enough that the direction is difficult to tell. Janine stands to look Teddy in the face.)

TEDDY: I will never forgive you for what you did; I have tried to forget all you were and all you are. I was finally happy, somewhat ok, and you reappear at my door.

(Sirens become louder and closer)

TEDDY: The police are here to take you away.

JANINE: (Quickly, confused and struggling to understand all that has happened, and how to react) But Teddy you know that I didn’t mean it! You know that I never meant to hurt you or your family! Please! Please! Don’t let them take me away!

TEDDY: (Turning back on the music, and going back to drying as the police enter the house) I have let them take you so many times before, in those dreams where everything you took from me continues to live on.
(Singing)

The following two tabs change content below.

Samantha Henry

Latest posts by Samantha Henry (see all)

Skip to toolbar